LGBT Carriage House, University of Pennsylvania
The new Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Center at the University of Pennsylvania occupies 6,000 sf in a pair of historic 1876 carriage houses. The exterior received a landmark-quality restoration while the interior underwent total renovation to create meeting rooms, a library, offices, a large multi-purpose lounge and a catering kitchen. A new elevator was strategically inserted to provide handicapped accessibility to the four different floor levels in the two-story split-level structure. Extensive landscaping provides outdoor gathering space and knits the Carriage House into campus pathways. Completed in 2004, the project is the winner of a Preservation Achievement Award from the Preservation Alliance for Greater Philadelphia.