• 720-730 Fort Washington Avenue Entry Courts

    720-730 Fort Washington Avenue Entry Courts

    720 and 730 Fort Washington Avenue in Manhattan are a pair of 1939 cooperative apartment buildings designed by Jacob M. Felson. The twin buildings are stand-out examples of the refined art deco architecture that characterizes their Hudson Heights neighborhood and for which Felson is renowned.

    By 2017, the buildings’ landscaped entry courts had deteriorated severely. Decorative concrete architectural elements were crumbling, frost and tree roots had caused planter walls to heave, and metal railings were corroded. Engaged to design a restoration of the courtyards, BFA reconfigured the steeply sloped site with tiered planting beds, broad granite steps, and bluestone paving. New code-complying handrails were fabricated in stainless steel to recall their original metalwork.

    The firm also worked closely with the restoration contractors to replicate original cast stone ornamentation. On the courtyard walls, the design team replaced the outer wythe of brick, which had been awkwardly patched and mismatched over the years, with precast blocks carefully calibrated to match the color of the original limestone that surrounds the entry doors, which were restored. And new lighting, including custom wall sconces, creates a safe and welcoming ambiance for the courtyards at night.

720-730 Fort Washington Avenue Entry Courts

720-730 Fort Washington Avenue Entry Courts

New York, NY

720-730 Fort Washington Avenue Entry Courts

720 and 730 Fort Washington Avenue in Manhattan are a pair of 1939 cooperative apartment buildings designed by Jacob M. Felson. The twin buildings are stand-out examples of the refined art deco architecture that characterizes their Hudson Heights neighborhood and for which Felson is renowned.

By 2017, the buildings’ landscaped entry courts had deteriorated severely. Decorative concrete architectural elements were crumbling, frost and tree roots had caused planter walls to heave, and metal railings were corroded. Engaged to design a restoration of the courtyards, BFA reconfigured the steeply sloped site with tiered planting beds, broad granite steps, and bluestone paving. New code-complying handrails were fabricated in stainless steel to recall their original metalwork.

The firm also worked closely with the restoration contractors to replicate original cast stone ornamentation. On the courtyard walls, the design team replaced the outer wythe of brick, which had been awkwardly patched and mismatched over the years, with precast blocks carefully calibrated to match the color of the original limestone that surrounds the entry doors, which were restored. And new lighting, including custom wall sconces, creates a safe and welcoming ambiance for the courtyards at night.